Thursday, September 2, 2010

This and That

Well, Jason and I are still enjoying our life here in SF. I have found that I really enjoy the big city. I'm guessing that it will get old eventually but I actually like the fact that there are SO many people, haha. It's interesting. Driving back and forth from work though...mmm, not certain that's my favorite thing in the world. Overall I'm not an "angry" driver but I would say that I definitely get annoyed. Mostly over simple things, like merging. Not sure why that's such a difficult concept for some but...apparently it is. At least there are a lot of good radio stations up here to listen to while I drive. There's one particular morning talk show that has me laughing pretty much every morning. Then again, the morning commute isn't so bad. It's the evenings when I get off at 6pm (3 days/wk) that it takes me about 50 min. to go 18 miles. Nice. Oh well, what can you do?!

Last week was my birthday and my birthday gift was $$$. Wohoo. I got to enjoy some SF shopping...including shopping at one of the best Marshall's ever! So fun. I also went into a place called Nordstrom's Rack which is apparently Nordstrom's, discounted. That place was INSANE. I'm pretty sure that more than half of SF's female population was there. My gosh. They had things like True Religion jeans for $90. hahahahaha. Sorry, I would never in my LIFE pay $90 for a pair of jeans (though I would certainly take them as a gift :) ). Those things are $250 normally though so I just couldn't understand why you would go to Nordstrom's to buy them for $250 when you can buy them at The Rack for $90. hmmm. These things I ponder.

I'm also about done with some curtains that are literally the happiest curtains in the world. They brighten up the room a ton. Since there won't be much sun shining in to brighten up the room I figured some bright happy curtains were the best solution. **Note: We STILL have boxes to unpack in our house, haha. Maybe one day...**

Hmmm...what else...

Ah, my future. So, I've been thinking and praying a lot lately about a possible career for me. Jason is the priority right now. I'm working and getting him through school. Yet, there is a part of me that would like a "skill". One that can be used in the work force. I know that when some kidd-o's come around they will be my number one priority but what happens when they go to school? (I'm thinking we will not be a homeschooling family. Especially if we are living abroad with Jason's work. The kids would be in school with other native speakers of the country). Anyways, I've been kicking around some ideas in my head...and with Jason. I'm leaning toward something that can be done through a community college with minimal debt. It also needs to be something that is usable abroad. The medical field is very intriguing to me and I've been leaning toward nursing or radiology. We will see...

Anyways, I know there's the "stay at home mom" vs. "career woman mom" debate. I'm a bit in the middle. Especially when the kids are little pre-kindy age...I want to be home, caring for them and molding their little brains into what Jason and I want. :) But, once they go to school...esp. when they're gone from 8-3...I feel like, knowing me and my personality...that I'm going to want something to do outside of the home. Honestly, I really love working. I mean there are days when I would surely rather sleep but overall...going to work isn't hard for me. I like interacting with and helping people. I also enjoy a paycheck every now and then. I guess there are other thoughts behind all of this too. I like the idea of having my income as a backup. It's funny because I always envisioned that if I did work we would try to not use much of the money for day to day use. Invest it, save it, use it for retirement, give it, use it for kids college education...awesome family vacations. Weird yeah? Anyways, these are some thoughts of mine. So, I'm praying and seeking the Lord. Trying to see what's of "me" and what's of "Him".

Well, that's all for now. I will say that we are very much looking forward to the three day weekend. Yay. Plans for the weekend...maybe a trip to REI, unpacking and settling more into our house, a trip or two to some thrift shops, RUNNING. There's The North Face Half-Marathon Trail Race in SF that I would like to compete in this Dec. We will see. :)

5 comments:

  1. Pictures of the curtains???

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...to come! I'm finishing the little doo-hickeys that go around them to hold them open (fantastic description eh?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nursing or Radiology would be way practical. But since Jason said he should have become a pastry chef (since pastires are so pricey), what about it Anna? San Francisco Baking Institute - http://www.sfbi.com

    They have weekend workshops. Viennoiserie at Home is those yummy pastries. I think that one would be worth the extravagant price. Maybe you could save up the $$$ and take the full course the last 18 weeks you guys are in SF. If nothing else they have great on-line resources. And I'll get you their book "Advanced Bread and Pastry: A Professional Approach" for Christmas if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha. Wow, so it's coming from TWO people now. Jason and I ended up going to Thorough Bread...a pastry shop in SF where the students from SFBI intern. The woman who owns the shop is French and Jason made a friend in her right off. haha. She ended up giving us a free cookie thing that was amazing. Anyways...don't get me wrong....I would loooooooooooooooooove to take classes at SFBI. Holy cow. I would love to just bake for a living for that matter...doing cakes, pastries, etc. My dream job would prob. be to own a bakery/cafe'. It's just hard to imagine it ever happening. haha. And yes, their book would be awwwwesome!

    I guess going through school and doing something more medical oriented seems like almost an "easier" thing in some ways. haha. Not sure if that makes sense. But yes. I would love love LOVE to take their full course. Sheesh. That would be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh,so what I was originally going to say was that after visiting the shop, finding out about SFBI, meeting the sweet French lady, Jason said to me, "Um, who cares about Radiology...you need to go to SFBI!"

    :)

    ReplyDelete