Sunday, July 25, 2010

SF here we come!

Well, I have a job! Yay. I'll be working about a half an hour south of San Francisco at an optometry office. I got the call on Friday. The doctors offered me the job and I accepted. It's funny. It's kind of like my first "big girl" job. They pay more than I've ever made before (the cost of living in SF makes up for that though), I get paid vacation/sick days, 401K, and benefits. Well, they help pay your premium on your health insurance each month. Better than nothing though! :)

Anyways, I start Aug 2nd. Yep...in a week. haha. We don't exactly have a house but we have actually made some serious progress on that front. We have looked at houses two other times outside of yesterday and let's just say that we were a little disappointed. Then yesterday I lined up 6 places to look at, out of the 6...I would live in 4. Out of the four one was a bit higher in price and too far for Jason so we scratched that. Another was ok but it required me to commute down a road that was a little nuts on Saturday...so I can't imagine what it would be like on a Monday morning. So, we scratched that one. This leaves two REALLY good options. One is in Daly City. The other is in a neighborhood close to SFSU. We wish we could combine the two and make one perfect option but...it can't happen. So, what do YOU think is better?

Option #1: Daly City
1 hour commute on bus for Jason
25 min. commute to work for me
-1 bed/1bath
-$1300/month with utilities including wifi
-no washer and dryer
-no real place to store something like bikes
-comes with some furniture
-no oven, just a cook top
-all new remodeling, fresh paint, etc
-owner's of the house upstairs
-back entry...through the side of the house
-sunny open house

Option #2: SF City
prob. about 20 min. commute for Jason on bus
maybe about 1/2 hour commute for me
-technically 2 bed/1 bath.
-$1300/month w/o utilities
-no wifi-and we'll prob. need it for Jason's school
-includes washer and dryer
-can use some garage space to store bikes
-beautiful new oven :)
-remodeled and new interior
-weird entry but it's a front entry
-nobody living upstairs

So, what do YOU think? What would you choose? It's really a hard choice if you ask me!

Also, Jason found a Asian type bakery in SF. We went in to buy a treat and we were the only caucasians in that store, haha. That place was crazy! Anyways, we bought a mochi cookie and HOLY COW...yum o yum. It was so good. So, here's to moving to SF and eating more of those mochi cookies!

6 comments:

  1. Option 2 sounds better to me... a little more money... but NO oven? Really Anna?? And a washer and dryer is just SO convenient. And not an hour commute. Hmmm....

    I'm excited for you!! This adventure sounds really fun - I wish Trav and I could do something like that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely Option 2.
    Jason will be happy without that 1 hour everyday. That can be difficult if an emergency happens. And the oven is a plus as well as no one living up stiars. I'm so happy you both, and for you getting your first big girl job! I hope the move goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. number 2! Go for the oven and the washer and dryer!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Number 2 sounds way better. The 1 hour commute by bus will get really old for Jason (you can't really do school work on a bus - too crowded) and your commute is basicly the same either way. The laundry and an oven are just icing on the cake (although both will save you tons of time and money too).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Which one FEELS right? Sometimes you can't go just by the practical realities. Listen to your gut, your heart; there is a reason you feel a certain way about a place. Whichever one you choose, I hope that you will be very happy there!

    ReplyDelete