Friday, July 10, 2009

Celebrating the 4th of July

Hi everyone!
Wow, it feels like a long time since I posted anything! I can´t let Anna out post me! Well, I guess this blog is both of ours :). Anyways, I wanted to share with you guys what we did on the 4th of July. Last Saturday Anna and I woke up around 9 am or so and shortly after her coffee (a necessity to get her started) Anna went to work baking and prepping for our BBQ later that afternoon. We invited the other 3 volunteers to come over around 2 in the afternoon for an Independence Day BBQ. Anna baked an Apple Pie, made Pebre (a chilean salsa), hamburgers, cookies, etc. She was the cooking Queen! I on the other hand was in charge of some cleaning up, decorating, and running to the grocery store to buy some more food and charcoal. So, right away I went to work making some patriotic decorations!

Ok, so the U.S. flag doesn´t have all 50 stars or 13 stripes, but I did the best I could with what I had!

Here we all are enjoying our American style Hamburgers, chips, and Beer!



Anna made this awesome Apple Pie (with stars on top). There was SO much food!

Here is the Chef herself! I always knew that Anna had the potential, but I never knew she cooked so well! Even on a modest budget she wips up some great meals.
Well, after all that food we sat down and watched a movie. The party lasted over 6 hours and we all had a great time celebrating our nation´s Independence. It was funny that throughout the day we received several texts from our Chilean friends wishing us a happy 4th of July! I didn´t even know the day of their Independence day until I got here, how did they know ours! Their Independence day is September 18th and celebrations last for a week after that. Crazy!
So, that was our fun day. For us it was a rare day of doing things American because we normally try to live like Chileans (food, eating times, etc.). But, we had to celebrate a day that seems to mean so much more when you are outside of the U.S. and can really see how blessed we are and how we have so many opportunities that we often take for granted. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed the pics and that you all had a great 4th of July too!
Hasta luego!




2 comments:

  1. Nice job all around! Glad you got to celebrate with friends. The pie looks great. Makes me want some now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Guys! I'm glad you got to have a party. Regarding the 4th being a bigger deal when you are not in the States - I hear you. One of the most moving fireworks displays I ever saw was when Warren and I were in South Korea. Made me cry.
    Hope you are still flu-free!!
    ~Aunt Sheila

    ReplyDelete