Saturday, June 4, 2011

Call Me a Nerd, Call Me a Bookworm...

But ONE of the top five reasons I love living in San Francisco is.... drum roll por favor...

LA BIBLIOTECA.

So, back in the day when I was a wannabe Southern Belle living on the East Coast we visited the library all.the.time. The library was amazin. We could get any book we wanted. Fantastic.

Then we moved to SLO. SLO is beautiful, it has outdoor activities galore, I love SLO, BUT...the library sucks. Seriously. It's hard to find a book you want and when you do, all the books for some reason seem to be in Lompoc. The transfer system is slow as molasses and thus, I quit frequenting the library. (granted this was all about 4 years ago so maybe it's changed).

When we moved to SF I thought, hmmm, big city, I bet the library is better. Sure enough. Who needs Netflix when you have the SF Library. They have hundreds of movies...and most all new ones. They have EVERY book you can imagine. AND they transfer it quickly and efficiently to your small local branch. yay.

I was noticing though, as I was reserving my 29 books :) (don't worry, the max is 50) that a lot of them needed to be transferred from the "Main Branch". I thought. Hmmm. Where is this "Main Branch"? I want to go to this "Main Branch." So I Google Imaged it and THIS my readers....is the "Main Branch".

*The Choir Angels Sing*

Pictures not mine....but no one to give the credit too. Boo. So, picture credit: unknown but not mio.

We live in a society where we would rather spend 2 hours at the mall then at the library (give me a pocket full of money and I'm right there with you ;) ). No wonder! Our libraries are so drab and dismal sometimes. But this one is beautiful. I think I shall live their forever. Yay. I'm so excited to go.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh, libraries. What would I do without them? While I love bright, airy libraries (they have books, right, how could I not love them?) I miss the old ones with their funky old book smells. I'm glad SF has some great libraries for you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I totally agree. I love old used book stores...partly because of the smell. Jason thinks it smells weird. Not me. I suck that old musty air deep into my lungs. :)

    ReplyDelete