Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Day 4: Only from Scratch

It's my 200th post yo. Just thought I would educate your mind with this information.

Anyways, it's day 4 and I can officially say that I have kicked the "cravings" for something processed and yummy. I'm no longer thinking about the dish of candy sitting on my desk.

So, Sunday night was lasagna...like I said. Monday I used those homemade refried beans I made on Sunday and made these incredibly EASY flour tortillas for burritos (with cheese of course). And YES! I do use lard. Bring on the lard. I also use lard in PIES. Yeah. It's better. Seriously. If I made you a pie crust with lard you'd freak. And really... lard's natural! :) I know it's all fatty good and all but how many times do you actually eat pie in a year? Use lard! (Though you can use butter too.) I've quit using the Crisco stuff altogether...siiiiide note tangent. Sorry. I'm done.

No pics though because it's apparently hard to take pictures AND roll out tortillas and cook them. Yummy though. The refried beans though...they turned sweet sometime between when I cooked them and when we ate them. Weird. So my recommendation...eat those puppies fresh! They weren't bad, I just had to add some salt and red chili pepper flakes to get rid of the odd "sweet" flavor.

Last night...I used the chicken broth and the chicken from the broth on Sun. and whipped out a chicken pot "pie". Pie is in quotes because I didn't make a crust (that takes way to long for this working lady) but used "drop biscuits". Way faster and super yummy. The filling is from this recipe (I used cut up fresh green beans instead of the frozen peas...keeping it fresh folks). Then I dumped it all straight into a pan and made the biscuit dough and dropped that on top of the filling. Cook it as 450 for 30 min more or less and you're done. I don't have a recipe that I use for drop bizkitz but this is a fine one and quite similar to what I make (though you might want to double it to cover the whole casserole dish thing).

So, the question. Do I feel different?

Hmmmm.

-So, honestly, the first 2 days we started this I had pretty bad cramping and stomach aches. Both Jason and I. I can't figure out why. Weird. Not sure what this tells us but we feel fine now.

-I am sleeping like a baby. I feel like I sleep really solid since I've started this. I think though that it's because I'm so tired from cooking, haha.

-There is a lot of satisfaction had in cooking completely from scratch but it is pretty tiring and time consuming...not going to lie.

-Homemade granola is SO good. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Ok, I guess that's it. Tonight we are having leftovers maybe??? The chicken pot biscuit thingy went a little farther than I anticipated! woohoo! No cooking! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment