Saturday, July 16, 2011

Preparing For the Week

Welp, if you haven't heard...We're gonna be eatin' a little different around here for the next couple of weeks. Here's just HOW different if you missed the post. We're going to go ahead and kick it off tomorrow night...rather than Mon.

So, I did the shopping for this week and let me tell you. It took for freaking ever.

First, when you make everything from scratch...you have to buy a lot more things. Good grief.

I also had to go to more than one store. I can sometimes make do with going to just Trader Joe's but there was no way I was going to pay 80 cents a pop for tomatoes...I needed 12! haha. No thanks.

Here are some very surprising "preservative" discoveries.

1) Couldn't buy our fav ABC (mostly almonds, blueberries, and cranberries...with some raisins too) trail mix from Trader's. Would you like to know why? Because apparently, they put a preservative in it to preserve the color of?...of raisins. What? I'm sorry. So, what color do raisins change to as they sit on the shelf? Blue?

2) Canned tomatoes have preservatives...thus the reason why I bought 12 Roma tomatoes. They were only $3.30 though. And I think it will make a bit of sauce. So, not bad.

3)I feel dumb looking at the back of all the packages in the store. Want to know why? Because I feel like someone's looking at me thinking, "Oh, that poor skinny girl. She must me worried about the fat content in that...oh look, she's putting it back...oh sad." Skinny girl complex I guess. Just checkin' the preservatives peeps....which is in everything apparently.

4)There is a preservative in pre-grated cheese...that keeps the cheese from sticking. bah. So, I had to buy a whole chunk of mozzarella.

5)Every cold cereal has SOME sort of preservative...from what I could tell (though I didn't venture to a whole foods store...because I didn't want to spend $10 on cereal) So, I'm making my own. That's right. Who's cool?

And that's what I have to share thus far.

Tomorrow night it begins. Tomorrow is a HUGE cooking day for the week. You shall see. Tomorrow night I will show you our absolutely from scratch dinner meal...and the menu for the week.

I'm expecting "preservative withdraws" to be rolling in around 1pm on Monday afternoon. Headaches? Nausea? We'll see. hehe :)

Off to eat Ben and Jerry's "Everything But The" icecream. Less that 24 hours left you know ;)!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Guys! I'm wishing you good luck on your food adventure. Fewer "un-natural" things in your life has to be good, right? Just time consuming as all get out. I'll be curious to see how this goes for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! yeah, the time is the biggest bummer for sure. Hopefully I won't spend my next next weeks only in the kitchen...ok, and at work. I don't think, "I have to cook my dinner" is a valid excuse for skipping work. :)

    ReplyDelete