Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Great Food Experiment 2011

So, labeling it 2011 makes it sound pretty hard core eh? Okay, so it's just two weeks. I originally wanted to do it for a month...but then changed my mind because really...a month seems nearly impossible.

So, what is this "Great Food Experiment"?

Well, let me tell you.

Beginning this Mon...for two weeks, Jason and I will be cutting out all prepackaged foods from our diet. As in ALL of them.

Like?

-any and all frozen foods bought from the store (we pretty much only buy Trader Joe's frozen french fries and Orange Chicken...but you get the point).
-bagged pasta
-cereal (from the box)
-bagged bread
-chips
-cookies
-canned sauces
-anything that has an ingredient list with weird things you aren't 100% sure on...i.e. preservatives and etc.

The idea behind this non-sense?

One, I've always wanted to try to eat...for a while anyways, mainly and primarily things that are made from scratch.


It's sort of an experiment. I want to know if we FEEL any better. If we notice more energy, clearer skin :), better attitudes, better BM's (haha, jk), and etc.

Also, though I work full time...I'm not all that busy...not like the type of busy I would be if we had kids. So, why not try it now?

So, here's the small print:
-when eating meat (though we literally are almost unintentionally vegetarians, we eat meat maybe once a week at the most) it will only be free-range, grass fed, etc meat. It's what we eat now. It's what we'll eat during this two weeks.
-we will be eating cheese. Since I have no idea how to make cheese...or desire to stank my house up with the process (though I do have a small, random dream to have a "Cheese Hut" in my backyard where I make my own gourmet cheeses...I know...FREAK)...we will eat organic cheese. I love cheese.
-I don't have a cow in my backyard...so milk will be consumed (by Jason) in the mornings with his cereal...I will buy organic milk this two weeks...even though I usually don't. I buy Trader Joe's brand. I don't drink milk because it tastes "thick" and weird...so this doesn't really concern me :)
-We will use things like butter, olive oil, sugar, salt, flour, vanilla, eggs, coffee, half and half, and other ingredients .
- Certain things in the package are fair game. Things that list one ingredient...like...almonds. :)
-Also, if we go to someone's house for dinner we're on "break". Because we won't be those people who say, "Oh, we don't eat THAT." :)

And yeah, I think that's it.

So, we'll see.

Basically the idea is...if I can make it from scratch...I will do it rather than buying it from the store already made. OR, if I can't make it...figure out another meal that I CAN make.

And there you have it.

So.

That's it.

I'm taking you along with me on this journey. I'll share my menu...whether it was easy or I wanted to pull my hair out, and etc.

So, there you have it. 6 days of gorging before it begins. Bring on the Oreos and Doritos! :)

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! Growing up this was pretty much how my family ate. Except meat was a staple in our family. :) Goes with being Romanian. My husband and I are about 50% like this already, but butter, bread and frozen waffles are staples in our household.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna, that sounds interesting. I like the idea, though, of cutting out packaged stuff since there is so much "stuff" in them. Good luck and I look forward to seeing how you do. Might try to do some of this. :) hugs

    ReplyDelete