Monday, May 25, 2009

Earthquakes and Some Things I Miss...

So, in case you were wondering...we are in earthquake city! I can´t believe how many earthquakes we have been through. Maybe 10 or so. Only one has been enough to kind of rattle our bones. It was only a 4 point something though...it was just really long. We always have them at night while we´re in bed. Sometimes we don´t even feel them. Last night we had another one. I like the one´s during the day but for whatever reason I don´t really like to be woken up by my house shaking. Weird huh? hehe. Anyways, the earthquakes are different here then the one´s I have been through in the CA. The one´s here don´t do as much damage. I feel like I remember reading an article about the different plates and how they quake differently. The last one in SLO felt more rolling and violent. The one´s here just feel like back and forth shaking. Anyways, that´s my speel on earthquakes. A little weird but don´t freak...we´re safe and sound.

And now the time has come to tell you what it is I miss from home. Did I mention this is Anna? Ok. Here it goes...

-coffee shops...or good easily accessible coffee in general
-the gym
-green...we live in the driest desert in the world. Everything is dirt...and more dirt. I wish I had more green shirts becuase I´m pretty sure green in my new favorite color now.
-kitchen gadgets. We have the bare minimum here.
-family and friends. We´ve made lots of new friends but there is something about having someone who understands your culture, background, and communicates in the same way.
-church. I miss being fed in my own language and seeing fellow brothers and sisters in the Lord. We go to a church here but I catch about 50% of what the pastor says.
-pancakes...Dorn´s pancakes to be exact.
-things to do when bored. We´ve been on a teacher´s strike for a week now (Or not us but the teachers in Chile). There is nothing to do here when you aren´t working.
-browsing magazines at Barnes and Noble...that goes back to the bored thing.
-crafting, sewing, etc.
-a washing machine. Why YES, we DO do our laundry by hand. I´m completely domestic in case you were wondering.

So, this is the conversation Jason and I have been having lately...what do we miss from home? Too much free time has allowed us to miss home a lot more lately. We don´t want to come home yet...we´ve just had more time to be realistic about our time here. Hopefully the strike ends today and we start up tomorrow. If not...we´re traveling baby!

Ok, welp, that´s all for now. Pics to come! Love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment