Friday, September 25, 2009

A BBQ and a Jungle Gym

Hola Todos,

I hope you enjoyed the pictures from the Fiestas Patrias. Now, for you viewing pleasure I have some pictures of a Chilean BBQ or "Parilla" and our new "Jungle Gym". First, I included some pics of me starting our BBQ. Why would that be interesting you ask? Well, for me the Chilean "Parilla" is interesting not only because it looks different, but because you start it differently too.

The Grill is literally a half of a barrel without a top or cover. The charcol here in Chile is the natural kind which is harder to start because it doesn´t have all that extra stuff included (lighter fluid, etc.). The first couple times I tried to light the BBQ were...well TERRIBLE!! I was so frustrated because no matter how much newspaper I used I just couldn´t get the darn thing to light. I decided to ask a Chilean friend who taught me the following method.

Ok, so you start with a bottle in the grill and you roll a sheet of newspaper and then curl it into a circle.

One by one you layer the bottle in rings of newspaper.


Once you get the rings of newspaper about half way up you pour the charcoal or "carbón" around the bottle and make the shape of a volcano.


Then you light a match, set the rings of newspaper on fire (that form an inner tube in the volcano) and watch the charcoal catch fire!!!

SUCCESS!!!!

I have yet to not get the BBQ started since I learned this method.

Some other interesting things about the chilean BBQ is that the charcoal sparks like CRAZY! I don´t ever stand near the BBQ once it is lit because of the shower of sparks that come off of it. The other interesting thing is that barbequing this way, without a cover, makes the meat take longer to cook. So, barbequing here is like re-learning how to grill all over again!!


Now for the "Jungle Gym"
So, our dear little kittens have decided all on their own that climbing up my pants is a fun thing to do!


Here is a close up of the little rascals digging their claws into my pants and scurrying up my legs. It doesn´t really hurt with Jeans, but man does it hurt when I come out in my flannel pajamas!!!!
The cats have been fun but they are kind of a pain sometimes. I have booted them a couple times out of Anna´s plant and other things that they shouldn´t be getting into. It is like having little kids....I think Anna and I have already failed at parenting!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi guys! I hope that you are still enjoying yourselves there in Chile. The time passes quickly, doesn't it? Celeste is now at Oxford, and Warren is back in Baghdad. I'm in school full-time (it is HARD!!) and life is busy.
    Jason, please tell me you take that bottle out before you light the "volcano!" If not, I would think that my crazy brother-in-law Wayne had invented it!!
    Take care, you two.
    Aunt Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. no way Sheila, you know I don't light my charcoal on fire with anything less then a flame thrower.
    Actually my Scotish blood (you can read that as being cheap)is very interested in trying this myself. Sounds like a great way to save money by not buying lighter fluid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wayne and Sheila,

    Yes Sheila I DEFINATELY take out the bottle :)..and it doesn´t have to be a beer bottle, it can be any large bottle.

    And yes Wayne it is a great way to save on lighter fluid. I asked some guys here if they even sell lighter fluid and they weren´t even sure what it is. Even though I have learned a lot here about Babequing you´ll have to teach me more about the grill when we get back. Of course over a Corona with lime ;).

    ReplyDelete