Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Sandboarding and a Disco

Hi Everyone!

Well, it seems like a long time since I last blogged! I think my last post was about the "high tech." bathroom at the fancy hotel Anna and I stayed in while in Valdivia. Hmm, well the last three weeks have been crazy for me. The first of the three weeks I observed Básica (Elementary School) and that alone wore me out! The little kids are so cute and love to run up to me and give me a hug, but they sure take a lot of energy to keep in check! I keep telling Anna "they sure are cute, but by the end of the week they will eat me alive and chew on my bones!" :). Anyways, the second week I started teaching my classes (14 total) giving them the class rules, having them make name cards, etc. This week I have been teaching all new material and once again it is Wednesday and I am worn out. I guess staying late and helping with English Debate prep. and playing a soccer game did play a part in why I am so tired :). Ok, well here is what Anna and I did two weekends ago.

Some Chilean friends invited Anna and I to go Sandboarding with them just outside of Copiapó!

Here I am strapping on the Sandboard. They made their own boards and they were WAY NICER than anything I ever made in CA!

Here I am tearing it up :)

And of course the long treck back up the hill.

Ok, this is kind of embarrasing, but Anna and William (whom I am next to) got me to try on William´s glasses. They thought it was so funny Anna took this picture. Let´s just say I don´t do "Gangsta" very well.

After Sandboarding we went over to William Sr.´s house (the dad) and had dinner with them. This picture is of our lunch with them the next day! Yeah, they invited us over three times in one week to have meals with them and do fun activities.

William (the dad) said that the "Disco" is the specialty of the house. It involves a tank of propane, a large burner on a tri-pod stand, and a metal disc.

The "Disco" or disk is very simple- just add oil, all kinds of meat and veggies, pisco sour, lemon juice, and spices and TADA! A delicious meal!
Anna and I have been very blessed to get to know William and his family. They have invited us over several times to eat with them and share their Chilean culture. They are so generous and giving it is hard not to feel bad for not giving much back. But, that is how Chileans are...very generous!
Well, I hope you all enjoyed the pictures! See you next time.

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy, but what is pisco sour?

    Also please tell Anna - the package is in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun. And that food made me hungry. Going to make tacos. See ya.

    ReplyDelete