Monday, November 23, 2009

The Top 10 Things I Just May not Miss... :)

Ok, so Jason and I have made a real effort to not really voice a ton of negativity on here about Chile...though it has come out a few times (haha, strikes!). Basically, I´m a firm believer in the idea that when you dwell and think often of the negative...the negative things become stronger and more consuming. We in no way deny the negative things of Chile but just try not to dwell TOO much on them. So, now that we are back in the States, and out of Copiapo...I thought that I would post a few things that were a little um, "harder" to get used to. So, before I created a TOP 10 THINGS I WILL MISS LIST...well, now here are my TOP 10 THINGS I AM OK TO LEAVE BEHIND list...hehe! Enjoy! :)

10. Walking. So this one is a bit of a mixed basket. I love the walking aspect but it is super lame to HAVE to walk when you buy groceries. I always seem to over buy too...like, a gallon of water, a pineapple, a kilo of bananas, a kilo of apples...that is SO manageable don´t you think?! :)
9. Street dogs. Hmm. There is so much to talk about on this subject. From them getting into your trash, to being dead on the side of the road...to SEEING them get hit by cars (which is seriously traumatizing). Then there is mating season. um, Let´s just say that we have seen our fair share of Animal Planet at it´s finest...if you know what I mean! ;)
8. The water. The water in Copiapo was so full of minerals that it left a coat of salt chunks after a few times of using a kettle. You have to fill the kettle with vinegar in order to get the salt coating off. blah. I take water for granted at home...though people think SLO tap water is horrible I don´t think it´s so bad and it's nice to not have to buy water!
7. Being stared at. Yeah, at times it´s nice to be "different" and unique BUT...and I mean a BIG BUT...I crave like nothing else at this point to be able to walk outside with out the whole crazy city turning to stare at me (and this is not an exaggeration). Yeah...let´s just say that me leaving Copiapo has left it with one less blonde person...as in there will be 0! :)
6. TP in the trash. Ok. So, basically the sewer system in Chile in not "equipped" to handle toilet paper...not sure what that means. So, everywhere you go there is a TP trash can next to the toilet. We had one in our house too, obviously. I will give no real details on this because I´m sure you can figure out why this is just plain nasty...and smelly too :)
5. Parties that go till 6am...LITERALLY...6 am. When do they sleep? We have no clue. We have lost many nights of sleep because of our very "social" neighbors.
4. The lack and diversity of exercise. I just can´t wait to work out in the gym...to run where it´s more "runner friendly". To not run in the excessive heat.
3. The sun´s INTENSE UV rays here. I´m not sure why...oh wait...maybe it´s because of the HOLE in the ozone layer above Chile. Yeah, that´s right. Really though, this is a big one for me...the resident whitey. After 10 min. in the sun, tops, I was burnt. It´s a bit of a problem being that we don´t have a car and we have to walk everywhere. 2. Doing laundry in the bathtub. Yep. 8 months. EVERYTHING hand washed. Sheets. Towels. Hundreds of Jason´s socks. I will say no more.
1. Hmmm. Well, I really can´t say that this is the worst thing...but I believe that I took it for granted big time while at home. It will be unbelievably nice to be able to express exactly what I want, when I want, and to actually have people understand me! What a concept! It's hard sometimes to just want to be able to contribute to a conversation, to know what you want to say, but to not be able to vocalize it in an understandable way. My Spanish got better over time but there were still many times where people just didn't quite know what I was trying to say. I missed just being VOCAL! :)
So, there you have it folks. Really, these things are very silly in the scheme of things. We truly loved Chile and feel like we have left a part of ourselves behind. So don't judge! haha. Every place, even SLO has advantages and disadvantages (shocking huh?)
Oh, and the Pucon pics are coming soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment