Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Quinoa is a cookin'...

And so I thought I'd squeeze in a little bloggy posty while making dinner. J-Huz is out transplanting our Brussels sprout plants (I chose to grow them only because I want to see what they look like as plants...though I do like to eat them...when they're cooked in a certain way). The success of our garden so far is solely because of Jason. He waters, maintains, weeds, goes on slug and snail quests (and smashes them, blak). Yup. The garden would be a big FAIL if it were up to me. Currently, the squash and tomatoes are growing really big, our carrot seeds are almost ready to be transplanted, our radishes are off the hook, the red onions are going strong...but no lettuce. Not ONE seed sprouted. boo. Oh well. Oh, and the haricots verts are about ready to be placed on a vine. I had no idea I married such a green thumb. :) yay me!

In other news. I busted out a cake for Jason's B-Day. I didn't have time to make a fondant cake and had to squeeze it in after work. I put it on facebook buuuuut...here it isSo fun. This is my first time "sculpting" something. SO freaking hard. Gum paste doesn't give like clay. You can smooth clay out and cover any imperfections but not gum paste. The creases are impossible to get rid of...though I'm sure with practice it's do-able. Anyways, Jas loves fishing and so it's been the theme for the last couple of years. This one came out a little better than last years...haha. Hey! It was like my first cake ever. Anyways, this was my fastest cake yet. Baking and sculpting one night, and frosting and assembling the next night. Not bad.

I'm also loving the new grass/hair tip I got for the cake. It's super fun!

Well, anyways, I guess that's all for now. The quinoa is probably about done and I need to get my tush up to finish dinner...or we'll be having JUST quinoa for dinner.

1 comment:

  1. Awww. Looks just like Jason. :) I love it, Anna. I wish we had a place we could garden. I might eat veggies more if we grew our own. I'll have to think of something. I tried the Farmer's Market thing, but I keep forgetting about it. Maybe I'll try that again. Glad you are doing well. Give Jas a hug for me. hugs to you, too

    ReplyDelete